At the risk of sounding a bit like a 'snob', when I envision workout attire or articles of clothing that might commonly be found at a gym or fitness center, cut off Daisy-Duke jean shorts is not exactly what pops into my mind. However, while logging my time on the various cardio machines tonight, I enjoyed some people watching and some interesting choices of wardrobe. Two pairs of cut-off jeans shorts quickly caught my eye, as I scanned the crowd and analyzed the motley crew of individuals who had descended upon the gym. There was also a pink halter top, covered up by a black spaghetti strap tank....that actually accompanied one of the pairs of jean shorts. There was also a black tank top with sequin sparkles, which appeared to be very pretty, but did seem a bit out of place amongst the traditional t-shirts with athletic shorts or yoga pants.
It is also interesting to watch the interactions between the fitness center patrons. Here are just a few of the categories that I feel worth mentioning:
- Some are serious! They are focusing on their workouts! Headbands, Towels, and Bottles of Water!
- Others are kinda focused, yet appear to not really be putting in sort of real effort into their workout. However, they will make sure to tell their friends that 'they' went to the gym.
- Then you have the social bugs...who are there to flirt with the Jersey Shore muscle heads and don't actually break a sweat. The one girl I 'watched' was on the elliptical for about 15 minutes. Then she spent the rest of her 45 minutes walking around, laughing, smiling, giggling, flirting, and wasting time.
- Now, the ladies in the Zumba room were ROCKIN! Those ladies mean business!!! I would not want to mess with them or challenge them to any sort of cardio! They would salsa all over my arse!
- I can't forget the testosterone driven males who flock around the free weights and challenge each other to see who can the lift the most weight with their pinky toe.
Then there is little ole me.....flitting from treadmill, to elliptical, and finally to the stationary bike...enjoying some heart pumping interval cardio, while I listen to my hip-hop music on my hot pink Zune MP3 player. I smile and wave to the people I know....all the while, wondering if my panty lines are showing and who will be talking about me on the Internet. KARMA!